- Q: What is special about VIPBase and how it all started?
A: If you are a researcher in the fields of computer vision and image processing, there are some features of VIPBase that you may find very handy and are difficult to find in other popular free image and video processing softwares such as ImageMagick, XNView, Picasa, GIMP and VirtualDub. For example, to replace one RGB value with another in an image sounds very simple but believe it or not there is no easy way to do this. Another example is extracting frames of some part of a video. VirtualDub certainly can do this but you have to extract frames of the entire sequence first, which takes time and disk space.
I was so surprised finding out that such useful features were missing that I decided to write something as a complement to existing softwares. Initially VIPBase was intended to serve my own needs in my research work, but it turns out to be a popular tool widely used by my colleagues. So I decide to release it publicly and hope more people will find it useful.
- Q: What tools are used in the development of VIPBase?
A: The coding is done using Visual C++ 6.0 with SP5. The following tools are also used.
- Leadtools Imaging SDK is used for loading/saving images and some image processing routines.
- BCG Controlbar is used to create an OfficeXP-like user interface.
- Xerces C++ Parser is used to parse XML files.
- Q: How to report bugs?
A: Please make sure you have completed the following steps before reporting a bug:
- Read this FAQ and the documentation of the function you are using. Your answer may already be there.
- Visit our guestbook. The same problem may have been reported before and solutions may have been provided by other users.
- Make sure the problem you found is really caused by a bug of VIPBase rather than a misuse of the software, such as specifying a non-existent file or opening an image with unknown format.
Please provide a detailed description of the problem. Sometimes when VIPBase encounters a problem, it will display an error dialog indicating the exact line number (of the source code) that caused the problem, such as the one shown below. Please include such information if it is available.
Please send the report to . Keep your report concise and direct to the point. Since I work on this project only in my spare time, I may not be able to answer all emails in a timely manner. I appreciate your patience.
VIPBase © 2006 Fengjun Lv
Last update: 08/01/2006 (check html)